TARAS SHEVCHENKO NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF KYIV
The history of today's Preparatory Faculty began in 1920 when the Workers' Faculty began preparing able youth to begin university studies. Foreign students have been studying at the Faculty since 1960. The first students of the Faculty came from Cuba, Guinea, Indonesia, Ghana, Togo, Nigeria, Cameroon, Benin, Zanzibar, Yemen, Algeria, and Afghanistan. They continued on to became doctors, engineers, agriculturists, diplomats, economists, and statesmen in their respective countries.
The Preparatory Faculty is a teaching and research institution which combines the preparation of both Ukrainian and foreign citizens for studies in all majors at Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University and for study at other educational institutions in Ukraine. Since 1998, it has been developing and implementing new techniques and methods of teaching Russian and Ukrainian as foreign languages as well as subjects in the students' areas of specialization within a limited amount of time.
Over 15 thousand Ukrainian citizens and 20 thousand foreigners from 120 countries have passed through the Faculty in preparation for university studies. The staff is made up of 200 teachers and employees, of which 20 have candidates degrees.
The Faculty maintains and develops international ties. It works in cooperation with many educational institutions and organizations in Vietnam, Iran, China, Malaysia, Peru, Russia, Tunisia, and Turkey.
The Faculty has a comfortable student housing complex, complete with a cafe, storage area, study areas, a computer laboratory, playing courts, manned security, and a leisure room with audio-visual equipment and satellite television.
Professor T. Tabenska, Candidate of Chemistry, Holder of the Order of Princess Olga of the 3rd Degree, heads the Faculty.